It’s what is on the inside that counts! Despite its prickly exterior, the artichoke is a delicious vegetable from its meaty leaves to its most delicious interior, the heart. The artichoke is rich in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants. It can be enjoyed simply steamed or steamed and then grilled with lemon, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 large or 4 medium artichokes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper for taste
- Rinse artichokes.
- Steam over boiling water for 25 minutes or until soft.
- Slice artichokes in half.
- Season with olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper
- Grill or bake for 15 minutes or until brown and slightly crispy.
- Serving size: 1/2 large or 1 small artichoke
- Calories: 95 calories
- Equivalents: 2 vegetables, 1 fat
- Serving Size: 4