Strawberry shortcake is a simple and light summer dessert that is the perfect ending to any meal.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture.
- Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and more berries.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving size: 1/9 cake
Calories per serving: 224