Delicious soft scones that melt in your mouth. Perfect for a Sunday Brunch or a dessert.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 9 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2.Mix flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk milk, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon zest, and vinegar in a small bowl and stir into flour mixture until moistened; turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 3.Knead dough briefly for 5 or 6 turns. Pat or roll dough out into 3/4 inch-thick round. Cut with open end of a 1 1/2 inch diameter glass into 16 circles and arrange on a baking sheet leaving 1 inch between each round scone.
- 4.Bake in preheated oven until bottom edges are lightly tan, 11 to 14 minutes. Allow scones to cool for 15 minutes.
- 5.While scones are cooling, stir confectioners’ sugar, melted butter, 2 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Stir water into sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is easily drizzled.
- 6.Drizzle glaze over warm scones.
Serving size: 1 scone
Calories per scone: 278
Equivalents: 2.5 starches and 2 fats